What is organic farming?
Organic farming system in India isn’t new and is being pursued from old time. It is a strategy for farming system which essentially went for developing the land and bringing crops in such a way, as to keep the soil alive.Organic production is a holistic system designed to optimize the productivity and fitness of diverse communities within the agro-ecosystem, including soil organisms, plants, livestock and people. The principal goal of organic production is to develop enterprises that are sustainable and harmonious with the environment.
The Need For Organic Farming In India: For Those Chemicals In Your Food Can Kill!
It is beyond doubt and well established that agrochemicals are not only polluting the environment, and undermining human health but are also threatening the livelihood and Income security of small and marginal farmers. These expensive chemicals with seeds are making farmers indebted and are leading to the farmer’s suicides in India.
Organic Farming in India:
Organic farming is native to India. Modern Agriculture in India is hardy 60 years old, whereas, green revolution is not even 40 years yet introduced in the year 1966 as a result of considerable arm-twisting by the American. In contrast farming in India dates back to more than 4000 years. Whosoever tries to write the history of organic farming will have to refer to India and China. The farmers of these two large countries are called as “farmers of forty centuries” and it is organic farming, which sustained them. Therefore it is not that some ideas about organic farming originate from the west and we are borrowing them
Need of organic farming
With the expansion in population our impulse would be not exclusively to balance out agricultural production yet to build it further in manageable way. The scientists have realized that the ‘Green Revolution’ with high input use has reached a plateau and is now sustained with diminishing return of falling dividends. Thus, a natural balance needs to be maintained at all cost for existence of life and property. The obvious choice for that would be more relevant in the present era, when these agrochemicals which are produced from fossil fuel and are not renewable and are diminishing in availability. It may also cost heavily on our foreign exchange in future.
जैविक खेती की प्रमुख विशेषताओं में शामिल है।
- Protecting the long term fertility of soils by maintaining organic matter levels, encouraging soil biological activity, and careful mechanical intervention.
- Providing crop nutrients indirectly using relatively insoluble nutrient sources which are made available to the plant by the action of soil micro-organisms.
- Nitrogen self-sufficiency through the use of legumes and biological nitrogen fixation, as well as effective recycling of organic materials including crop residues and livestock manures
- One of the major organic farming system characteristics is the weed, pest and Disease Control Management. You will find that it is possible by crop rotation, natural predators, organic manure, resistant varieties, diversity of crops, intercropping, biological intervention.
- Last but not the least impact on the environment. The organic farming system mainly concentrates on the overall health of the environment that we live in. It always tries to improve the environment rather than degrading it.